Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 66, July 23, 2010

A friend and blog follower writes me on Facebook earlier, asking, "How's the farming going??? The rain should help. Did you find out why your plum tomatoes are rotting???"

I respond, "Learning lots, and some rots..." I don't refer her to "Day 57" blog and the question of moisture and calcium deficiency... I am just happy that people are reading, and thrilled at their curiosity... albeit morbid, at times.

After all, as I think back and read older blog posts, over a trying two months, I realize that this was intended to be an experiment. It has become, a grand discovery. As I stand before my corn plants, some of which are already much taller than I, I realize that my pale green fingers have done more more right than wrong. As I look up at Debbie's towering Sun flowers, which are on the verge of bloom, at five-to-seven feet, I am thankful for her spirit, her loving support, and unconditional companionship.

As my garden buds bloom, some bare blossoms, while others bring fruit from the musty, dirty depths. There can be no greater joy than love and
gardening, especially when they come together on a stranger's farm... for no apparent reason.

Today I am particularly impressed by the bush beans. They've been flowering for the past week, and today I have noticed how much these delicate, white flowers look like orchid blossoms. From each surviving flower, a tiny bean shape is emerging. It is so amazing, almost child-like how vegetables and fruit present themselves... like preschool drawings expertly glued onto their host plants. I really cannot explain it except that plants are surprising in their formation and delivery of goods.

I am still uncertain what the yield of my bounty will be this season. I know that the cucumbers are prolific, and my customers seem very happy with them. As for the tomatoes, I am preparing for disappointment and hoping for a miracle. Let's just say, I'll hang on the vine, do what I can, and know I'll keep ya'll posted.

Garden's Edge. Zinnias in bloom, Brandywine Plants, Fading Dill Hedge beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment