Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 77, August 3, 2010


Debbie is likely among the millions of uninsured Americans. Professionally, she's a Dental Hygienist (Think, "Have you been flossing?"). She lost her job after breaking her arm in a skiing accident. It was then she learned that the job security and benefits she'd enjoyed for twenty years had vanished along with most of our 401K's and home equity values.

Lately, she has been feeling a tingling sensation in her right hand, After a bout of self-diagnosis, she has determined that she might have some form of carpal tunnel syndrome. She says that the tingling goes away after a while.

"Think it might be work-related?"

"No, it would have happened years ago, and my work is not repetitive in that way."

"Think it might be the farm?"

"Maybe the weeding."

"You think so? After only two months? After only one or two days a week?"

"I don't know.... Oh, look! Yoga for carpal tunnel syndrome!!"
She shows a picture, on her IPhone, of a brunette yogini in reverse namaste, my least favorite pose.

"Try it, Deb," I cheer, and she obliges. "You can do it better than I can," I admit. Looks like we both have short tendons, which makes certain poses more awkward than others.

"Aw, come on.... I can do anything you can do better." Deb laughs.

"No, Anything you can do, I can do better!" I smile, waiting for the band to strike up from "Annie Get Your Gun."

Next, she tries Eagle arms, and I'm starting to miss yoga, and its reputation as a panacea, a logical tonic for all of life's ills. In fact, shortly after I met Deb, I convinced her to try yoga, and she tried it... says she liked it.

So, when Debbie gets home, I think we need to send in the information that the miserable health insurance company requested. We have both found that attempting to purchase health insurance as healthy, middle-aged adults, outside of a group plan, is an essentially impossible task.

Perhaps Debbie's right about trying Chiropractic or other alternative treatments. Maybe, if nothing, this will distract her from the present sensations and symptoms. Maybe she'll survive a virus or pinched shoulder nerve while she hopes... and waits... for conventional health insurance, and the subsequent ability to consult with a traditional medicine man or woman. This could be a trip to the Land of Oz, we only recently took for granted.

Perhaps we can grow herbs, or maybe pumpkins big enough to use as Pilates props. We could clean up the garden paths and hold vegetable harvesting, weeding, and meditative yoga classes. "Get Grounded at a Real Health Club! The Farmer Ben Method!"

Ah, who am I kidding? It's probably already being done!

No comments:

Post a Comment