Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 122, September 17, 2010

My sources of inspiration are really quite simple. Take, for example the view from my living room. When I sit in an arm chair... writing , or dreaming... I often get the sense that Debbie, my kids and I live in a perfect village. We have narrow streets, old trees and stone walls. The homes around us are modest but impeccable in their design and craftsmanship. In Noank, most of our houses are close together, but there is a feeling of space.


When I look out of the left window, I see a corner of our neighbor's soft-yellow house across the street. Although I do not know Peter and and his wife very well, I know them enough to talk about gardening. Alan's house is visible out the right-hand window. It's an active place with two of Elizabeth's friends buzzing in and out of the place on electric scooters.

For me, it's mostly about clean perspectives, familiar places and great light. Although I am far from a luddite, I believe in authenticity, respect for mechanical, architectural and social traditions. Scale and proportion must count when it comes to enjoying a quality of life. To this end, I am starting to garner support, or at least interest in my hybrid farm-saving concept. In fact, a key executive from a major New England history attraction admits that the appeal of such a project is powerful. He warns me, over lunch, however, to:
  • Control the idea... don't be undercut by other participants;
  • Control deferred maintenance;
  • Find the right people to realize the vision.
Before we go back to our day, he offers to make his organizational resources available to help ascertain that our concept and execution is accurate from an authentic, historical perspective. I certainly wasn't expecting a grant, and I am heartened to have simply made a new friend who can likely help us as we move ahead.

Earlier in the day, I speak with the New England Director for the American Farmland Trust. She affirms the uniqueness of our concept, and suggests two new contacts. I write to one of them, a Senior Lecturer in Sustainable Investments and the Environment, and a Research Scholar at Yale University. He writes back in a little over three hours. "Interesting..." he says, and invites me to
meet with him on September 24th.

This is probably the first time that I have worn a pair of slacks, a belt, and an oxford shirt in five months. I miss the field, even if it is one day, but I still feel like I'm cultivating. It's like sowing magic seeds in our community.

Days like these: Imagination... Consensus and promise... Days of energy!




No comments:

Post a Comment