Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day Nine, 5/27/2010

It is a full moon. A Full Flower Moon, to be exact. On this day, Debbie planted a flat of zinnias. Benary's Giant Mix, to be exact. We have a ton of planting left, but today, it seems we were concerned with aesthetics, perhaps as a way to give definition to the space we've been tilling, shaping and populating with hundreds of plants.

This is bony soil, as Farmer Brown likes to call it. There are thousands of rocks and stones. I've decided to use the stones to encircle each plant. I imagine that this will help contain water, but in reality, I just like the way it looks. I imagine that it gives each plant a feeling of importance. I imagine that each plant needs a sense of security. I imagine that I am slowly losing my mind, and then I laugh. After all, this is my garden. My experiment. Debbie says it's my Zen Garden. I think of Zen as a sense of feeling, like Karma... but when we look it up, we learn that a Zen Garden is a Japanese Rock Garden. A living work of art.

Our garden is certainly a living work of art, one that I know will never be finished.

Today, I finished planting the green and jalapeno peppers. I planted close to fifty basil plants, and then started planting a flat of dill before light faded around 8:30.

Tomorrow I will try to finish planting the dill, cucumbers and onions. I'm expecting a package of seeds from Michigan, and then it will be time to sow the pumpkin, ornamental and popping corn seeds. As soon as we finish planting and sowing, we can finish the stone wall and we'll clean up the area around the barn. It's a beautiful place, so stop by!











No comments:

Post a Comment