Monday, May 24, 2010

Day Six, 5/24/2010


Soon after arriving at Wychwood Farm, I run into Farmer Brown . There are Dark clouds all around.

"Are you going back down to finish tilling?" He asks.
"Yep. At least until the rain muddies the soil," I reply, taking meteorological clues from above.

"It's not going to rain. Not today. Not tomorrow."

When I get down to the field, the sun starts to shine. My fancy headphones get so slimy with sweat, I take them back to the car. My cap fits better. Thoughts and the rototiller engine provide the soundtrack for the afternoon.

A day later, the sun is still shining through clouds. I trust Farmer Brown's forecasts . At the same time, I want to be outside. I want to finish the wall. I want to buy plants and start planting. Instead, I'm stuck on the phone. I'm stuck on hold waiting for help from Agway. It was suggested I call Agway because professional
farmers deal with them.

After a five minute hold, the girl who answered comes back. I tell her I'm looking for a person with good knowledge of seeds and farm planting. When I think Agway, I think rural America and deep knowledge when it comes to matters of earth.

"That's me," she volunteers.

"OK, I need bulk pumpkin seeds."

"We don't sell them, but maybe we can order them."

"Bummer. I was hoping to come by and see what you have."

"Sorry.
Which is what leads me to a Google search and Main Street Seed & Supply Company in Bay City, Michigan... I buy two types of pumpkin seeds, ornamental and pop pcorn seeds, and I learn that an "offer" is a smaller packet of seeds.

After lunch, I stop by the farm and retrieve the rototiller. After returning it, I drive to Norwich and buy eleven flats of tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, basil and dill. I grab a flat of tall zinnias and a couple of packets of sunflower seeds.

When I get to the farm, I notice a lot of action. There's a bunch of equipment out. Farmer Brown takes a moment to approve of my plants.

"How are you doing?" I ask.

"Well, I'm losing time. Bailer's not tying enough knots."

I plant about fifty tomato plants. Roma Plum tomatoes, Giant Cherry tomatoes, and Brandywines go into the ground.

By the time I leave, I can tell from a distance that the bailer seems to be working. I wonder how long they'll stay out. My plants need rain, but I know the freshly cut hay can do without it.

This is a time we can do without an accurate forecast from Farmer Brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment