Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 86, August 12, 2010

As I schlep my wares to and from the area's better eateries, I'm starting to understand the diverse nature of the chefs I've been meeting. The way they go about their work is not unlike a painter or a photographer.

Consider, if you will, the selection of tomatoes. Chef Dan at the Spa at Norwich Inn (http://www.thespaatnorwichinn.com/) does not like to use Brandywine Tomatoes with rough tops. He's looking for a more perfect tomato, like, for example, my Beefsteak. On the other hand, The chefs at The Ocean House (http://www.oceanhouseri.com/index-alt.php), whom I have yet to meet, have welcomed my Brandywines... at least the first twenty pounds. "We'll take the splits, and we'll use them for soups and sauces, " says Pam Stone, Food Forager. And so it goes with cuisine: painters and chefs are artists, and no two artists see exactly the same way.

Regardless of what one chef may decree, I know that the Brandywine tomatoes coming from the farm, are perfect beyond description, and yet their tops are rough. I normally slice this portion off, and the balance of the tomato is pure summer sublime. I find that some chefs also do this, and some don't. What I have learned is that it is important to be versatile, and to have more than one solution in hand. Listen. Be helpful.

What I have also learned is that although I am selling pathetically small dollar amounts of product to these establishments, I am developing a good rapport with my customers, and it all feels suspiciously like my earliest days with Mystic Chips. I guess that it all depends on what I choose to do once the garden has died down, and there are no cucumbers and bush beans to wrestle with.

Part of listening is followup. When Chef Dan mentions the cosmetic aspect of the brandywine tomatoes, I visit Malerba's Farm and speak with one of their growers. I learn that uneven watering can cause cracking. Although they don't refer specifically to the top of the tomato, it makes sense, and for the second half of the
season I am going to try to water more consistently.

So, here I am, my days are full, working the remains of my company, trying to grow it where I can. Every spare hour is dedicated to growing my garden, peddling produce and building a new base of customers. Seems if I have something good to sell, they'll buy.

Life is funny that way!

P.S. I received the nicest comment from http://www.gardenersanonymous.com/ yesterday. I return the compliment by recommending her gardening blog, thank you Chigiy!

Copyright 2010, Ben Greenfield, All Rights Reserved



4 comments:

  1. Ben, I can't wait to read more! I love Brandywine tomatoes, even the ones with splits, they make wonderful sauce. Make yourself a profile on Foodbuzz and I'm sure you will have more friends in no-time! Have a great day!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina, is there a way for me to have this blog be available of Food Buzz without having to do it all over again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben

    Visiting from Foodbuzz! Add your blog feed to your profile on Foodbuzz and all of your post automatically show up on FB.

    Your tomatoes look wonderfull. I have tried growing bradywine here in florida but have never had much luck. Too much heat and rain here, just to name a few of the problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah, the deeper I get into this, the more I realize the challenges needed to pull food from the ground. What cultivers grow best in Florida? Are they delicious when harvested straight from the vine, vs. the rubbish that passes for vine-ripened in the supermarket?

    P.S. I have about fifty posts on Blogspot... Any way to efficiently move them over to Food Buzz?

    ReplyDelete