Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 92, August 18, 2010


BUSTED!

When I first found this brilliant garden slug sucking on one of my prized Beefsteaks, I assumed that the tomato meal had changed the slug's color. In reality, it appears that I met up with a European import. It is called The Red Slug (Arion rufus). This tomato thief grows to four inches (10 cm), but can reach a length of seven inches (18 cm). I love finding unusual surprises in the garden, knew they'd appear, planted enough for unexpected guests, friends, and customers alike.



Notice how Big Red stretches as he attempts to flee, during an impromptu photo session. In truth, this wannabe sprinter actually learned to fly when I tossed the slimy ginger slug, and the embattled Beefsteak, into a swampy beck at the edge of the field.

Didn't get much time in the garden today. It was pretty much a matter of picking beefsteak and Brandywine tomatoes. Kind of nice having customers who will take all the tomatoes we can grow. Wish it were the case with the cukes.


When I am at the garden, I normally take time to smell the roses, so to speak. I like to check out the pumpkins, the cantaloupes and other more-fun-than-cucumber/green bean patches. I'm really tired of the cucumbers, and I'm sick of the green beans.

On the other hand, just the other day, Debbie made a delicious three bean salad, and she used our green beans in the recipe. It was a simple salad, blended in a whole grain dijon vinaigrette. It was simple, all right, and simplicity, I believe, is the essence of indulgence.

Check it out. One can make it, I believe, by following the above photo.









2 comments:

  1. I've never seen a red slug like that! Hope you enjoyed the sauce recipe, that green bean recipe looks great, thanks for sharing!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, Gina, I scorched the "saute the onions celery, carrots" segment, but finished it anyway... not bad, but would be cleaner without the extra carbon.... I am an associative cook, and like mixing and matching flavors, not afraid to screw up now and then. After all, there will, in most cases, always be another meal just around the corner. Hope all is well wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete