Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 15, June 2, 2010

Everything is tough. The economy. Oil spills. Customers and suppliers. It's all about survival. Even those who seem to have it all, who keep a public face of, "What me worry?" are likely in some form of denial. I've decided that traditional ways of finding work, or career satisfaction, no longer exist. At least for those of us who have depended on ourselves for survival for most of our careers.

Those who are "haves" are trying to keep what they have. And this is one of the reasons I have decided to go "way back" and find a way to become reliant on myself, once again. In doing this, I am finding the most wonderful people along the way. Things have changed, and it seems the things that happen to us... well, you just can't make them up. At the same time, the farm I am working on is the same as I imagined it would always be. Any success I find will come as a result of my hard work, and, yes, my imagination and energy.

Plants, on the other hand, are naturally tough. Plug them, like an Avatar's tail, (or is it hair?) into good soil, and the communication between two life-forms is instantaneous. Stems thicken Roots strengthen. Even the tiny tomato seedlings Ann gave us survived the thunder storm yesterday. Plants stress, and at the outset, we need to watch their backs, so to speak, but most are remarkably resilient.

Well, most all of the planting is done. In addition to the popping corn, we now have several rows of ornamental corn. There are
a few cucumber plants left to plant, and I think I'm going to fill in the remaining open spots with traditional cutting flowers. And then it becomes a matter of maintenance and planning the farm stand out front. Farmer Brown says that he has a couple of hay wagons that might merchandise pumpkins well. Ann tells me that Rt. 201 is a wonderful road, with lots of commuters every day.

I think that a combination of learning to raise crops, working on product development, and learning to produce fresh twists of classic recipes is a healthy goal at this stage.

Hopefully the deer will behave. Hopefully we've planted enough that they'll leave our share behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment