Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 21, June 8, 2010


SERPENT IN THE GARDEN!


Honestly, the only temptation I felt upon seeing this common constrictor - a Black Rat Snake - was to capture its image to share. Call me an amateur, but this is the biggest snake I've ever seen in the wild... truly a serpent of biblical proportions. Come to think of it, if my vegetables grow as well as this snake in my garden has grown, then it will be a great season. I know one thing for certain, the plump little gray and brown mice in the barn better watch out!

O.K., so aside from Snakes on a Connecticut Plain, my little farm and I have been really busy. The Bush Beans, on one hand, are thriving... but on the other hand, I am finding that several plants are either randomly deformed, or they're being eaten. Fortunately, the wisdom of Farmer Brown seems to be applying, in that we likely sowed more seeds than we would ever be able use.

On the other hand, the pumpkins are coming up gangbusters. They are hardy seedlings, broad leaves flat against the ground. It looks like new leaves are forming rapidly. Hopefully they will start to run as vines, and smother some of the weeds growing below.

Speaking of weed control, it is a problem. I decided that I would mulch with old hay, which I'm behind on spreading. I traded fifteen tomato stakes to Farmer Brown for some old broken bales of hay in his barn. When I drove by a garden plot he'd planted, I noticed neat rows of black plastic, with healthy plants poking out. Lesson learned, although, if I can get the weeds under control, my garden will be more of a scenic, natural thing.

Looks like we have a name for our new Farm Stand, and the brand of products that will follow. We're not quite ready to release it... still some elements to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment