Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 42, June 29, 2010

Nine-twenty in the evening. The sky is clearing in the gloaming, sharpening as the humidity dissolves. Of course it is nearly dark, but I am always amazed how late the horizon glows, and how quickly this solar treat dies as summer races into fall.

After a quick dinner I drive to the farm and spend an hour tying some of the tomato plants to their stakes. The Beefsteak plants are filling with fruit, while the Brandywine section sports plenty of yellow flowers, but still no sign of tomatoes. I later learn that Brandywine is among the slowest maturing tomato cultiver. There is yet hope for these 1 1/4 lb. pale monsters. The dill hedge looks eerie in the dark, as I leave.

Driving home, I notice a message on my phone. It is Carol Barnes Craig to tell me that the Board of Trustees of Old Mystic United Methodist Church has agreed to allow us to establish a farm stand in their parking lot! If it is successful, we will look into a new farmers market for next year... after all, it seems people never tire of fresh produce and other local products. Our area already has one market in Mystic on Tuesdays; one in Stonington on Saturday, and another equally lively market on Sunday at the Nature Center. It is amazing how people go out of their way support the work of farmers.

I realize that this is my first year growing products on a larger scale, and I realize that customers will expect more than we can offer. We will seek the best locally grown items that other local farmers can provide... items like sweet and butter and sugar corn, root vegetables, novelties like soaps and syrups, and whatever is available. If they are able, we will invite them to join us for sampling and promotion of their wares. Now that I know that we have a great location and a supportive group in Old Mystic United Methodist Church, it is fun to scramble and plan with a purpose!

We should be open in a week or two. Details such as days and hours will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment