Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 33, June 20, 2010

It's Fathers Day, and I'm making the mother of all efforts to get ready to open our Fresh Native Produce and Cutting Flower stand at Wychwood Farm.

Inspiration for the sign components comes from the oddest of sources. Case in point: I'm driving through Old Mystic and I notice that my friend, Finny is reopening her General Store after three months of shutdown and remodeling in the wake of the great April Fools' flood. There's a large sandwich signboard in front of the store advertising the fact. It's one of the only ones I've ever seen that is homemade and not from a plastics catalogue.

I make a mental note of the construction: four 2x4's, each about five feet; 2 1/4" bolts, washers and matching nuts; 2 sheets 1/2" plywood. Simple! I decide I'll follow this construction, but instead of paper signs, mine will be chalk-writable. I'll paint the plywood with chalk board paint! Debbie thinks I should spackle the plywood smooth. We'll see!

The cottage at home is filled with surplus building materials. I find four old 2x4's, trim them even and round the ends, after pulling as many old nails as possible from each board.

The 2x4's will sand up nicely. Gonna have to find some colored chalk, along with a person who is a good chalkboard artist.

We have almost completed all of the weeding, not that it won't require ongoing maintenance. At the same time, all of our plants have grown to a point where they can better withstand a reasonable amount of weeds, and so far, they are outnumbering the bugs. we keep our fingers crossed, fully aware that gardens and the tragedies that can befall them are lurking and capricious.

For Father's Day, and for an early birthday treat, Elizabeth, Debbie and I went over to my mom's house. Debbie made chocolate zucchini cupcakes, with a homemade jalapeno frosting. Since it was an idea that evolved at the farm, we choose to consider it a work in progress. We'd have celebrated at the Pequot House on Fisher's Island, except for the thunder storms all around us, all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment